» Bed Bugs Problem? Find Expert Exterminators In Your Local Area. Get FREE Quotes Here!
Having to worry about bed bugs can be frustrating especially considering that there are reports suggesting significant increases of infestation every year. Though the cause for the spread of these tiny bloodsucking insects is difficult to pinpoint, entomologists believes that the increase in world travel as well as the restrictions of certain bug pesticides, like DDT are possible contributing factors to the resurgence.
However if you are unlucky enough to have the slightest encounter with these creepy-crawlies, it would be wise to take steps to get rid of them, such as calling in a professional exterminator or using a variety of do-it-yourself bed bug extermination methods.
What Is The Process Of Working With A Professional Exterminator?
For professional bed bugs extermination services, usually licensed pest control companies will give a free quote on the extend of the services needed to rid the house or apartment of the pesky bloodsuckers. Typically, one should make inquires to different companies to get multiple quotes before making any decision.
Make sure whoever you choose is fully licensed and insured. Also check the Better Business Bureau to make sure there are no open complaints about your chosen exterminator of choice.
Next, the pest control company may send down a specialist to visually inspect the house to confirm the presence of bed bugs before giving you a final quote. Prices for professional bed bugs extermination may vary but homeowners can expect to pay anywhere from $200 to $1,000 per room for the services.
Once you agree with the final cost of extermination, the experienced pest control experts will usually employ a variety of removal methods including: using trained canines to identify bed bugs hiding spots, vacuuming, setting of bed bug traps, high temperature steaming, and the use of insecticides to get rid of the infestations. The good ones will also schedule follow-ups treatment and recommend a course of action to prevent future infestations.
Do-It-Yourself Bed Bug Extermination Methods
Controlling and exterminating an entrenched bed bug infestation requires very detailed planning, careful inspections and often multiple treatments to get rid of them. The following are steps on how to prepare for a bed bug extermination for those who want a more hands-on approach:
- De-clutter the general area and bedroom to reduce the places for bed bugs to hide and make the inspection easier.
- Perform regular housekeeping such as cleaning and vacuuming around suspected bed bugs harborage sites like underneath carpets, behind peeling wallpapers or electrical switch plate.
- Furnishings like the bed frame, dress table, drawers, cupboard, couch as well as items like picture frame are potential hiding places for bed bugs so they should be regularly inspected, vacuumed, steam treated and sprinkled with diatomaceous earth.
- After each housekeeping, any trash or vacuum bags should be sealed and disposed of immediately outside of the house.
- Visible holes or cracks on the windows frame, doors, wall and floor should be caulked and sealed up.
- Have all linen and bedding washed in hot water and dry clean at temperatures above 120°F for at least 20 minutes.
- Box spring, mattress and pillows should be encased with bed bug proof covers for a year to prevent bed bug bites as well as kill off any existing bugs and their eggs that may be hidden.
- Use double side tape or add “Climbup Interceptor” to the legs of your bed to prevent bed bugs from climbing onto your bed.
- Any stuffed animals, soft toys or personal items should be bagged and removed or put in the dryer to be treated with heat.
- If possible, commercial grade bed bug steam cleaners should be use to treat items like the couch or large items that cannot be heat wash or dry clean.
- Apply non-toxic insecticides like diatomaceous earth powder to possible infested areas. It will kill bed bugs when the bugs come into contact with the powder.
These are just some quick, simple and effective bed bugs extermination techniques that one can employ to rid one’s home of the nuisance pest.
Always remember that once any symptoms of bed bugs are detected, take action quickly as bed bugs are insidious survivors and gifted hitchhikers, and can easily crawl from one room to another. Delaying the process of exterminating bed bugs can result in an infestation to grow out of control!
Similarly, if you rent an apartment or stay in multi-family homes, the best advice would be to speak with the neighbors and your landlord about the bed bug problem so a coordinated effort can be planned to exterminate the problem quickly.